I did a little more work on this study. The right hand rose needed some work on form and more contrast and I sharpened up edges here and there. Don’t think I went too far but it’s close.
It’s been a while since I’ve had the oils out. They don’t feel quite as unwieldy as they used to and this was a great session. I’ll probably do a little more to this one although probably not too much.
After the values are all blocked in
After all the edges have been softened. We then went back in and sharpened up some areas to bring contrast and definition.
Side by side with the reference.
I couldn’t decide what to paint today. I started on an eagle but the drawing wasn’t inspiring me so I switched to some roses. I wanted to paint pretty loosely but this didn’t quite work out. Part of the problem was the soft press paper which dries quite quickly and I kept getting hard edges. But the other part was me and I had to work quite hard to pull things together. The end result turned out well – another one in the bag!
It’s been a while since Paul Foxton has done a streaming demo but I was extremely pleased that today was today. Now Paul is a wonderful teacher and paints exclusively in oils. I usually do oils in his sessions too but today I thought as it was mid 30 in 30 I would break out the watercolors.
This was very tough and tricky as you have to continually modify what you’re doing to fit with watercolor. You have to leave the light areas for instance so block ins have to be modified and putting in large areas of darks take forever and need multiple layers. But, although this isn’t going to win any awards I was quite pleased with this.
A quick oil sketch of a pink rose. Mostly testing color mixing. Probably needs more tweaks in the shadow areas.
So what do you think of this? I can’t decide. We started this in class but I hadn’t realized how hard this was and there was a vote to abandon it. I finished it off yesterday and can’t work out whether I really like it or think it’s terrible.
This will be next weeks class/demo. A lot looser than usual for a class and closer to how I would usually work. Fingers crossed!
A couple of intermediates.
Still working on the roses and getting slightly further each time. I’ve put the full demo video up on my youtube channel here :
And while I’m here I grabbed a few intermediate shots showing how I built up the roses from 2 values.
Trying out some roses for an upcoming demo today. Tricky ones these as they’re dark and the value changes need to be subtle. Several goes trying to simplify the process and work out the essentials.
A delivery arrived today with some new (to me) paper. This is on Kilimanjaro paper (140lb CP) and I really quite liked it. I seem to remember I tried it years ago and didn’t like it but I’ve obviously got more tolerant in the mean time. I will probably buy again.
The subject was roses today and although the result is just a sketch I’ve finally got back into the swing of things.