This is a recurring subject for me and why not? It’s a fabulous building and this time it was for a class demo. Not entirely happy with the greens although I tried to restrain them quite a bit but on the whole I’m happy.
Cambridge Street, MA
Finally finished this one and I’m really happy with the way it turned out. Just enough looseness to give it life but precision where it needs it.
And here it is on my new hanging wall. This is my pride and joy right now. I used to put things on shelves in my old studio but everything got really cluttered very quickly. Now I can hang things immediately so I can see how they look.
Trying a no drawing experiment with this Cambridge scene. Tried this a number of times before but never really nailed it to my satisfaction. Maybe this time…
Part way through the big version of Marlborough Baptist church. Fairly happy at this point. It’s a little too literal but I’m happy with the colors and values.
Value studies today for a large painting of Marlborough Baptist Church. I’ve done a tighter view of this before. The shape of the building is so interesting and I love the view through to it from Main Street that I wanted to give it another go.
I was rootling about on google maps for some possible painting trips and came across this scene in Rockport. I’m working larger than usual which poses all sorts of problems for me but it isn’t currently a complete disaster. I’ll leave it on the easel overnight and look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow. I was going for subtle color but may have undercooked it a little.
I’ve been wrestling with this view of the Zakim bridge from Boston Naval Yard for a while. It has a lot of contrast and my first try I overdid the value range completely. So after finishing the heron this morning I thought I’d just do a quick freehand value sketch with no prior drawing and see how it came out. I think I might finally be onto something. Going in with the mid values first, then the darks and then the lighter values helped enormously to tie this together. Let’s see how it turns out with a full size attempt.
My first stab at this one. This was from a visit to the Boston Naval Yard last summer with the Newton Watercolor Society. It has something but I’m not there yet.
Had a few cracks at this one before I took the plunge for a full painting. The final thing turned out okayish but nothing that really excited me.
Here are the initial value studies
Nothing really grabbed me at this point so I put it to one side for a day or so.
Came back this afternoon and had a rethink about the relative placing of the buildings and came up with this=
This felt better and I was encouraged enough to do a full size one.
Hmm. I don’t know why I had to put so many cars in. The painting doesn’t need it at all and distracts from everything else. Sigh.. Maybe one day I’ll crack it.
The homework for Gary Tucker’s last workshop was to do a local rainy scene. Now we haven’t had any rain in forever and the only rainy photo I had was from New York so that went into the pile. I plucked a few others from pixabay and went to work.
These are all small (5”x7”) value studies to work out composition and values.
First a simple scene with a lot of red.
Not bad but lets try a few more and see how they do.
I also quite liked this one. Nice contrasts in the car and the shadows on the street and misty buildings.
Next was my New York photo. I did two of these a day or so apart
It may not be obvious but I was much happier with the second one. It’s a complicated scene and I was starting to get to grips with some of the subtleties in the value changes. Maybe one more of these and I’ll be ready to paint!
And for completeness a quick still life warmup and some mid value mixing practice. I was trying to go in and paint everything with a mid value or lower in a single shape. Then go back in with lighter values and finally the darkest darks. Not perfect but a worthwhile exercise.