Still working with Paul Foxton’s latest still life workshop. Went a bit beyond where I intended today as this was just meant to be a color block in. May work this up some more
Pass 2 on the Kathy Speranza rose workshop. This is lesson 6 and the second pass putting on color. I’m finding this tricky but slowly getting into the slow pace of things. Usually I would be finishing up by now but I think there are a few more steps to go. Each with a week’s drying in between so we’re in for the long haul. This one was refining the background, values and edges. I also introduced some more chroma into the centers. A very little paint goes a long way with this method and I’m starting to enjoy it very much.
Here is the first pass
Yesterdya’s Paul Foxton workshop session was cancelled but I thought I’d go mad and do a watercolor value study instead. Sheesh!!! So hard getting those close values in watercolor and still keep the form and light. But I think I did pretty darn well .
Here are some intermediates :
I was watching Kathy Speranza’s online rose course yesterday and thought I’d have a go. She makes it look so easy! And boy can she paint.
I’m not doing her exact method. She does an underpainting first and a number of preliminary drawings but I thought I’d have a go at the block in to see what happened. Pretty happy so far.
The final (ish) session on the summer roses with Paul Foxton. Hard to say how I feel about this right now. There are a few things I’d like to work on still but it’s very close to being done. Highly recommend Paul’s workshops. I learn a lot, the people are great and it’s enormous fun.
Inspired by Marilyn on the Summer Roses group I decided to work up the color study a little. This gives me a little practice in readiness for the bigger version on Monday. Although softening the edges was tricky I think I’m fully prepared to dive into the real thing.
Here it is before I worked on it
It’s a long haul this oil painting lark. Today was a 4 hour block in session. I’m working larger today on a 16″x20″ panel which was a lesson in itself. More paint, bigger brushes, and trying to keep the shapes interesting at a bigger scale.
First the drawing.
All the main colors were pre-mixed as we’d already done a color study.
The main rose colors went in along with some of the dark greens to check values.
More colors on the background flowers.
The final block in with all hard edges
And the final block in with all edges softened. Next will be refining the drawing, sharpening up some edges and putting in detail. Phew!
The color study is done and I’m happy with it. It’s not a painting – just blocks of color but it seems to hang together well. This is 8″x10″ and I’m planning maybe going up to 16″x20″ for the final thing. Unless I chicken out of course.
Here’s the state of the palette. I try and keep it tidy with so many colors on the go but it gets confusing.
Paul Foxton’s workshop today and we started a color study for a larger finished painting. Almost 4 hours for this – it was intense.
Some intermediates and palette shots
Not a highly successful day today. I’m trying to convert the oil process back into watercolor and it’s tricky to say the least. A couple of false starts and this was the most successful.
And just for the record here are the rejects: