Apples today with Paul Foxton. A lot of detailed mixing but the whole thing only came alive when the detail spots and the highlight went in. Could do a lot more on this. I only started to see a lot of the detail towards the end when I was really looking at it. But fun thought.
Still working with Paul Foxton’s latest still life workshop. Went a bit beyond where I intended today as this was just meant to be a color block in. May work this up some more
Yesterdya’s Paul Foxton workshop session was cancelled but I thought I’d go mad and do a watercolor value study instead. Sheesh!!! So hard getting those close values in watercolor and still keep the form and light. But I think I did pretty darn well .
Here are some intermediates :
I’m gearing up for another Paul Foxton workshop and we had a free livestream paintalong today. Really pleased with this one and I’m loathe to touch it any more even though I can see areas where it needs it.
Here’s it alongside the reference.
The final (ish) session on the summer roses with Paul Foxton. Hard to say how I feel about this right now. There are a few things I’d like to work on still but it’s very close to being done. Highly recommend Paul’s workshops. I learn a lot, the people are great and it’s enormous fun.
Inspired by Marilyn on the Summer Roses group I decided to work up the color study a little. This gives me a little practice in readiness for the bigger version on Monday. Although softening the edges was tricky I think I’m fully prepared to dive into the real thing.
Here it is before I worked on it
I tinkered with a couple of rose paintings today and had a bit of time left so why not paint along with The Foxton and paint an egg. Mainly an exercise in mixing and blending but quite satisfying.
Apparently I was gone for a long time as James came up to find me and was very amused that all I was painting was an egg.
It’s session 5 already! And we’re now onto putting some detail into the roses. We worked on the two main roses and it is extremely tricky. I think I’m happy right now but I’ll take another look tomorrow. I just about kept the form without losing value in the shadows or gaining it in the lights. And the inside curled petals just about came together.
Here’s where I started – all smooshed edges
We first worked on the big left hand rose. Sharpening up some edges and leaving others loosely defined
Then the right hand rose which was trickier but just about kept together.
And a detail of the two almost finished roses
It’s a long haul this oil painting lark. Today was a 4 hour block in session. I’m working larger today on a 16″x20″ panel which was a lesson in itself. More paint, bigger brushes, and trying to keep the shapes interesting at a bigger scale.
First the drawing.
All the main colors were pre-mixed as we’d already done a color study.
The main rose colors went in along with some of the dark greens to check values.
More colors on the background flowers.
The final block in with all hard edges
And the final block in with all edges softened. Next will be refining the drawing, sharpening up some edges and putting in detail. Phew!
The color study is done and I’m happy with it. It’s not a painting – just blocks of color but it seems to hang together well. This is 8″x10″ and I’m planning maybe going up to 16″x20″ for the final thing. Unless I chicken out of course.
Here’s the state of the palette. I try and keep it tidy with so many colors on the go but it gets confusing.