Thursday November 16 2023 – 1pm-3pm EST
Zoom link (Passcode 189664)
This week is another colorful one – a pair of goldfinches. We’re going to paint this loosely but still keep an eye on the light and shadow and keeping the form. Shadows on yellow are always tricky so this is a great one to practice.
I will record the drawing ahead of time and send out a link to it (it will also be on the youtube playlist too). Please come ready with the drawing done.
(All session materials are linked off the main page)
- Student paper for mixing color swatches
- 100% cotton paper for the full painting (I’ll be using 10″x14″).
- Value scale (See the Useful Tools page)
- Pencil/Paint/Palette/Water/Paper towels/masking tape
- Brushes: Two medium sized brushes for the main areas. One for putting paint on and one for softening edges. Size 10 or 12.
- Colors: Ultramarine, Burnt sienna, Vermillion/naphthol/cad red (orangey red), black/neutral tint, lemon yellow, yellow ochre.
Reference Photo (click to enlarge and right click to download)
Reference Photo with grid
The branch reference to replace the metal perch.
My current version.
My class version.