Thursday November 2 2023 – 1pm-3pm EST
Zoom link (Passcode 189664)
We will all need to buckle up and come prepared with emergency rations. This week its a cat!
Drawing is paramount for this type of subject and especially the face. If we get that wrong we’ll be in all sorts of trouble from the outset. I’ll be taking special care over the drawing and the video I’ll show you how I check the drawing on my ipad/desktop to check for blunders.
I will record the drawing ahead of time and send out a link to it (it will also be on the youtube playlist too). Please come ready with the drawing done.
(All session materials are linked off the main page)
- Student paper for mixing color swatches
- 100% cotton paper for the full painting (I’ll be using 10″x”10. I wouldn’t go any smaller than this).
- Value scale (See the Useful Tools page)
- Pencil/Paint/Palette/Water/Paper towels/masking tape
- Brushes: Two medium sized brushes for the main areas. One for putting paint on and one for softening edges. Size 10 or 12. A smaller brush for details and whiskers.
- Colors: Ultramarine, Burnt sienna, Vermillion/napthol/cad red (orangey red).
Reference Photo (click to enlarge and right click to download)
Reference Photo with grid
My current version. It’s a little brown as my printer needs calibrating and is skewing red. This is more of a study/finding out painting. I was trying out different ways of doing the stripes which I’ll talk about in the session.
The same image but with the color altered slightly to reflect the reference more.
My Class Version