Thursday October 19 2023 – 1pm-3pm EST
Zoom link (Passcode 189664)
This week is building on last week but this reference has even less chroma. But its still a nice moody afternoon light scene. It looks a lot more complicated but we’ll be simplifying a lot and concentrating on the large value shapes and their colors.
This reference is square as I tried it with more of the right hand tree but didn’t feel it worked. Square is easier to grid up as well.
I will record the drawing ahead of time and send out a link to it (it will also be on the youtube playlist too). Please come ready with the drawing done.
(All session materials are linked off the main page)
- Student paper for mixing color swatches
- 100% cotton paper for the full painting (I’ll be using 11″x11″ but 9″x9″ is a good size too)
- Value scale (See the Useful Tools page)
- Pencil/Paint/Palette/Water/Paper towels/masking tape
- Brushes: A larger brush for the sky and foreground washes. A slightly smaller (10 or 12) for the trees, house, and more detailed areas.
- Colors: Cobalt blue, Ultramarine, Burnt sienna, Vermillion/napthol/cad red (orangey red), Cad lemon/hansa yellow (greenish yellow), yellow ochre, black.
Reference Photo (click to enlarge and right click to download)
Reference Photo with grid
My Color Exercise Version