Thursday October 12 2023 – 1pm-3pm EST
Zoom link (Passcode 189664)
We’ll be starting off with this scene. Lovely clear shapes and values. To start we’ll be treating this as a color exercise (although we’ll probably end up with a nice painting too). We’ll be focusing on really nailing the values and the colors as well as simplifying the detail where needed.
I will record the drawing ahead of time and send out a link to it (it will also be on the youtube playlist too). If you want to do the drawing ahead of time please go ahead. I know that often people want to take time over this.
(All session materials are linked off the main page)
- Student paper for mixing color swatches
- 100% cotton paper for the full painting (I’ll be using 11″x14″ but 9″x12″ is a good size too)
- Value scale (See the Useful Tools page)
- Pencil/Paint/Palette/Water/Paper towels/masking tape
- Brushes: A larger brush for the sky and foreground washes. A slightly smaller (10 or 12) for the trees and more detailed areas.
- Colors: Cobalt blue, Ultramarine, Burnt sienna, Vermillion/napthol/cad red (orangey red), Cad lemon/hansa yellow (greenish yellow), black.
Reference Photo (click to enlarge and right click to download)
Reference Photo with grid
My Color Exercise Version
Yes it’s a little stiff but that’s ok. The values are good and I think the simplification in the rocks works well. The colors are slightly off (especially the sky and sea) but still work well.