Today was time to get back to the penguin watercolor painting. I had a piece of paper ready cut but it had curled too much to paint on. So while I was waiting for it to flatten out overnight I used the offcut to do a quarter size test study. This is 6″x17″ and the final thing will be 32″x11/5″ which will be a pretty big scale up.
I’d done some sketching out of the composition on the ipad a couple of nights ago and was pretty happy. Everything is out of my head and from experience of previous paintings. I’m still wondering whether a few extra penguins will make their way in there but it hangs together pretty well so far.
First the drawing.
Looks ok so far. The shapes are good. There’s lots of overlapping shapes and the background cliffs tie everything together horizontally.
Now into the painting.
The sky went in ok. I was thinking of maybe masking the cliffs but in the end it wasn’t an issue. The darks of the penguins look good. Not a lot of detail here. All the work is being done by the shapes.
I’m pretty far along here. Everything went pretty straightforwardly. Just goes to show what a bit of planning can do. I’m still wondering whether to add in a couple more penguins on the right. And those two wings in the center two penguins are a little too similar so that might change.
A bit of a stressful one this. James suggested a watercolor of the internet famous @smolpaulthewobblycat who has Holly Brockwell as his main staff member. He is a rescue with cerebellar hypoplasia but is adorable nonetheless. Many thanks to Holly for the photo.
This is a demo painting of the wonderful Leo. I’m working with someone who wants to do a series of 3 paintings of Leo and this is the first. It’s great fun and I’m especially pleased with that bow tie.
I don’t paint a lot of dogs. Dogs are tricky and I’ve shied away from them. But yesterday I was feeling in the mood for something different and a picture of a basset hound took my fancy.
I started him yesterday. Here’s the end of day 1.
Now this may not look like much but I was actually really happy at this stage. I’d managed to both get the white fur the right value and the shiny parts of the ears the right value. Once that was done the rest of it pretty much painted itself.
Fancied something a little different to finish the day with. I don’t usually paint in this controlled style (and it shows). Learned a lot on the way through – should have worked wet into wet more rather than paint and blend which is my usual way. Lots of color matching done which was great practice.
Another from our trip to Southwick’s zoo. You can’t really go wrong with a camel as a subject. They have wonderfully shaped heads and bodies and a very characteristic posture. I’m leaving this for today as I’m not sure it’s finished but, apart from a few touches, I think I’m pretty happy with it.
(James says I should do more detail in the fur but I’m not convinced).
I didn’t feel I’d done bees justice yesterday so I had another go today. Chose a different angle and made sure the composition wasn’t too regular. The placement of the legs in particular was a little stilted in the previous one.