Had a few cracks at this one before I took the plunge for a full painting. The final thing turned out okayish but nothing that really excited me.
Here are the initial value studies
Nothing really grabbed me at this point so I put it to one side for a day or so.
Came back this afternoon and had a rethink about the relative placing of the buildings and came up with this=
This felt better and I was encouraged enough to do a full size one.
Hmm. I don’t know why I had to put so many cars in. The painting doesn’t need it at all and distracts from everything else. Sigh.. Maybe one day I’ll crack it.
The homework for Gary Tucker’s last workshop was to do a local rainy scene. Now we haven’t had any rain in forever and the only rainy photo I had was from New York so that went into the pile. I plucked a few others from pixabay and went to work.
These are all small (5”x7”) value studies to work out composition and values.
First a simple scene with a lot of red.
Not bad but lets try a few more and see how they do.
I also quite liked this one. Nice contrasts in the car and the shadows on the street and misty buildings.
Next was my New York photo. I did two of these a day or so apart
It may not be obvious but I was much happier with the second one. It’s a complicated scene and I was starting to get to grips with some of the subtleties in the value changes. Maybe one more of these and I’ll be ready to paint!
And for completeness a quick still life warmup and some mid value mixing practice. I was trying to go in and paint everything with a mid value or lower in a single shape. Then go back in with lighter values and finally the darkest darks. Not perfect but a worthwhile exercise.
I zoomed another Gary Tucker workshop this weekend. It’s tough as he paints in a very different way to me and nothing really came out well. In fact my value study above was the thing i was most pleased with.
I did two paintings in the end. One paintings along with him and one today at my own pace. Here is the paintalong one:
Yes it’s a bit scrappy and I wasn’t happy at all at the end. After 24 hours though I can see some good in it. The values are strong and there’ssome nice color variation in the road. On the whole though I was rushed and didn’t feel I’d done it justice.
So today I did another version. Pretty much the same method – initial colored washes, second washed with a mid value, then the colors and the darks. Here it is:
The perspective is better but it still was a struggle and I’m uncomfortable painting this way. I’ll persist though – the big shapes are good and the values again are strong. Maybe one day…
Gary Tucker kindly ran a free online 2 hour workshop today. I found it challenging to say the least. I gained a lot of sympathy for my students as it was difficult to concentrate on what he was doing and his vision and also manage to paint a decent painting myself. Had a lot of fun thought and managed to make some progress with those wretched trees.
Here’s the reference photo. I had to dig deep to get inspired by this – another problem with trying to get inside someone else’s head.