Day three of the french village project. I haven't been looking forward to this one but I started out well with, for me, a good value sketch :
I worked quite a while on this and worked through a lot of the value problems. I decided to darken up the roofs and emphasise the darks and lights in the middle band across the center of the picture. I was confident that this would translate into a good painting.
Everything started out well. The drawing went fine :
The first washes were good :
And things kept on going well. The darks in the roof and the buildling went in well and the start of the greenery looked fine :
And then somehow I couldn't pull it all together. In hindsight I was attempting far too much detail and should have kept things simple. Grrrr!