I was a little dissatisfied this morning after reviewing yesterday’s post so decided to have another go with a slightly different view. A definite improvement and there are many things I like about this. Not perfect but then what is?
First I went over most of the paper with light diffuse washes. This gives a hint of color but is mostly a kind of walkthrough to rehearse where the darks will go. I started the final coat with the tower keeping some variation in color in the darks and letting some edges bleed so things didn’t get too rigid. In particular I painted the spindles and then washed over them with a clean damp brush so they are more diffuse and don’t leap out at you.
The final thing. The red garage door had a lot of wash through it which I decided against tidying up. I like the visual disconnect you get between something looking like an object and the wateriness of the medium. Pretty happy with this but often tomorrow morning I have different opinions.