When I consulted the list of subjects for Leslie Saeta’s 30 paintings in 30 days challenge I found I had written ‘trees’. This seemed a little unambitious so I extrapolated to ‘landscape’. In hindsight maybe a little too challenging and I’m in two minds about the outcome. Color is always a problem when I do landscapes but I tried to keep it pretty simple and the greens weren’t too bad. I’ve certainly done worse – I’ll leave this for a couple of days and see how it matures.
I was good and did a value sketch (a lot of which I proceeded to ignore).
The initial drawing. As always hopes are high at this point.
First washes and initial darks mostly wet into wet around the center of interest. I tried to keep the foreground loose but with not too much contrast so it didn’t detract from the buildings. Still feeling good.
Further on now – starting to get despondent and not sure how to pull it away from the precipice.
Pretty much done now bar a few line details.
And the final version. Not too unhappy although I was relieved to put the brush down.
Detail of the buildings – maybe this crop would have been better. I have a tendency (as do many people) to include far too much in a single painting.
The reference photo which is pretty bland.